positive mindset

This Mindset Shift Will Dramatically Improve Your Life

I used to avoid things I sucked at. Writing? Forget about it. Public speaking? Oh hell no. Dancing? Lol.

I had a fixed mindset. In other words, I believed the fallacy that weaknesses couldn’t be modified, altered, or polished. In my mind, it was: these are the things I suck at and these are the things I’m good at and that’s the way it is. I just had to accept it and stick to my strengths and dodge all my weaknesses whenever they were presented.

This mindset kept me stagnant and stifled my growth. It limited me. I avoided challenges and stopped pursuing certain aspirations. It wasn’t serving me or my life by any means. Eventually, I decided to shift my way of thinking and adapt the growth mindset.

I went from “𝑰 𝒄𝒂𝒏’𝒕 𝒅𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈” 𝒕𝒐 “𝑰 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒏 𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒕𝒐 𝒅𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈.”

This is a powerful place to operate from and will dramatically transform your life, because...

>> You embrace challenges
>> You’re open to feedback and see criticism as a tool to improve
>> You heighten your confidence
>> You see failure as an opportunity to expand
>> You become multitalented and well-rounded (in my opinion, two very attractive traits 🤤).

As Neil Strauss says, “𝑰 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒇𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒅𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒆, 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒂 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒇𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒐𝒓.” Growth has become a core value of mine, and I’m constantly on the prowl to find and master new skills.

So here’s what I want you to do: think about something you suck at, but wouldn’t mind being good at. Learn it. Study it. And master it.

Be a student of life ⚡️

Have a Better Day Instantly with this Mindset Shift

This morning I woke up late, stubbed my toe, and spilled coffee all over my white shirt within an hour upon waking. I used to let this small cascade of unfortunate events set the tone of my entire day, which typically was, “it’s a really bad day.”

From there, I was operating from a negative head space. And when you’re in that space, anything undesirable that happens—you’re going to look at it and say, “Of course this happened, because it’s a bad day!” When you say it’s a bad day and you’re committed to staying there—you are (sometimes unconsciously) actively looking for things to confirm the narrative as true.

Here’s something I want you to consider, and then internalize:

You have a choice.

You get to decide if it’s a bad day or if it’s a good day. You have complete power of how you respond to any situation, at any given moment. So while you aren’t in control of what happens to you—you are in control of how you respond, react, and feel about it.

No one, and no situation can make you react or feel a certain way—you’re in charge of how you choose to respond and feel (🤯).

Trust me. I get why this is a hard reality to accept, because now the fingers always point back at you. You’re taking radical responsibility for your actions and feelings, which means you have no one else to blame but yourself.

But, when you realize you’re granted with a choice, it‘s a powerful gift that can dramatically alter the trajectory of your life.

The next time something undesirable happens, try this: Separate yourself from the situation. And then let go of what you can’t control and accept what you can—how you respond.

You can choose to play victim OR you can choose to say, “it is what it is” and accept the circumstances without it ruining your entire day.

I choose the latter, how about you?

xx

Devi